Saturday, May 23, 2009

LOFT CONVERSION

My children are growing so basically I am in dire need of an extra room for another kid. She’s entering her teens and that spells P-R-I-V-A-C-Y. She has asked us to convert the loft into a bedroom which she can call as hers but renovation during crisis is not a great idea. My husband and I made a great heart to heart talk about it and eventually decided to give in. We did a research on how we can have an economy loft conversion because we really can’t splurge much cash during recession.

We saved a large sum of money from the architectural services, so that’s the first rule: Find an architect you know and ask him or her to do some service for you. This way you’ll save a lot and you’re helping your friend at the same time.

It took a while for the project to materialize because first, we have to put into consideration the amount of cash that we’re willing to shed. It was our first concern, my daughter’s wrath second because aside from this we still have to save for their education, mortgage, insurance and other necessities. Upon completion of the plan and agreed amount, we started the project right away.

To save on materials, my husband went to and through a lot of thrift shops to get good bargains on scraps and furniture. We saved almost 40% of our budget just by doing that, not bad huh? Everything doesn’t have to be new, just use the magic of remodeling. Aside from this, he made use of the materials available at home – he didn’t buy everything, he maximized what we’ve got and saved a lot!

To contribute to the economical conversion, I made use of old pillows, bed sheets, comforters and curtains to beautify the interior of the loft. My daughter was so pleased with her new comforters which I made from old ones. I rummage through our storage area and found vintage knick-knacks that I displayed in her remodeled wall display cabinet.

You see, renovation doesn’t have to be expensive. It just requires budget, proper planning and a little imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quotes

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs... since the payment is pure love. ~Mildred B. Vermont
 

Mommy Writes A-B-C | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates